Serial bomber believed to be behind attacks as investigation continues
By Bryan Ramos
ustin Police Chief Brian Manley said the city is dealing with a “serial bomber” after another explosion struck the city Sunday evening, the fourth in the last 17 days, injuring two men in their 20s who are in serious condition with non-life threatening injuries.
“We have seen similarities in the device that exploded here last night and the other 3 devices that have exploded in Austin,” Manley said this morning in a news conference. He refrained from calling the attack domestic terrorism, but did say they are dealing with a “serial bomber”.
You can see the briefing from Austin PD, FBI and ATF here:
Briefing regarding explosion in Southwest Austin https://t.co/j2HwQsrse8
— Austin Police Dept (@Austin_Police) March 19, 2018
Manely said this fourth explosion was set off by a trip-wire, a more sophisticated device than the previous three package explosions which shows the knowledge of bomb making, on the 4800 block of Dawn Song Dr. in Southwest Austin at about 8:30 p.m. The two victims were transported to St. David’s South Austin Medical Center.
Just earlier in the day, Manley asked for the person responsible for the attacks to come forward to create a dialogue with authorities, only for the city to be hit with another explosion hours later.
In a brief news conference last night, Austin Police Department Chief Brian Manley said there are similarities between the four explosions and asked residents within a half mile of the incident to remain indoors as the investigation continues throughout the Area. Manley also said they were looking to a backpack left in the area late last night.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation and The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, along with the Austin Police Department, asked anybody with any information to come forward and urged residents to not go near packages or anything out of the ordinary.
There is a reward of $115,000 for information leading to the arrest ane conviction responsible for the package bomb murders.
The string of explosions began on March 2 when 39-year old Anthony Stephan House was murdered after handling a package outside his home in the 1100 block of Haverford Dr.
The latest explosion comes days after 17-year old Draylen Mason was murdered on Monday March 12 after handling a package outside his home on the 4800 block of Oldfort Hill Dr. His 41-year old mother was also critically injured in the attack.
Later that same morning, a 71-year old Hispanic woman was injured when she handled a package at her home on the 6700 block of Galindo Street in the Montopolis neighborhood.
Anybody with information is urged to call 911 or (512) 472-8477(TIPS).